Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Coloring bath salts


Bath salts can be colored quite easily with a liquid dye or clays. In this experiment, I tried both methods to see what I liked best. I used FD&C dye for the purple, blue, orange, yellow, and green colors and pink clay for the pinkish/salmon color. I really liked the clay colored salts, but after a bit of research I found people complaining that the clay leaves a hard to clean circle on your tub. Have any of you experienced this in your trials?
All my color trials

You can see that the FD&C dyes create a variation of colors in the salts based on the type of salt it is coloring. The sea salt crystals seem to be darker and the Epson salts color lighter.  I really like the color gradation that ends up in the final product.

Mixing up purple bath salts

The color differences are really evident in this picture.  I think they end up looking like gemstones.  So pretty!


Mixing up green bath salts
An assortment of colors
Orange, yellow, blue, and green

2 comments:

  1. That's really interesting...I had no idea you could color bath salts with clay! I love the different colors that result from the different salts too, very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I have not tested the clay one yet in the bath tub to see if it leaves a ring. If it doesn't, I think that clays would be a wonderful natural way to color the salts. And clays come in so many colors that you can have a good range.

    ReplyDelete